Piers Morgan is a jerk

General Chat.

Moderator: Red Prince

Postby Blue Mystic » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:33 pm

Wow! A wee little bird could outright damage his reputation in the states and damn him from further employment in American entertainment knowing the right people to inform.

Tell me, what person takes the likes of Star Search and mixes it with the sensational part of American Idol, a smug Brit. We Americans don't need (and, quite frankly, have never needed) the superficial sensationalist in the midst of our cultural persona. And I'm quite sure the Brits don't wish to be seen as smug, arrogant, and obnoxious, which is a hopefully short-lived fad right now. The trouble with the entertainment business is that those involved don't want to disrupt their paychecks by experimentations in quality. If ovation sells, keep the ovation coming. I know that seems very cynical of me to say, but look at the Elvis movies. I recall reading how the money from Elvis' remake of "The Sheik", I believe it was, was used to make a finer and more experimental version of "Becket". Elvis did not get parts like that because Elvis was too much of a cash cow to experiment with. (I speak of Elvis, the image, of course.)

The quality of any culture can be known in its aesthetics. Art is the reflection of that culture's values, norms, ideals, aspirations, nightmares. For America to dare make the bold claim of great art and yet keep mass producing ovation like hiring a dubious Brit, it's more like a beautiful and refined lady dressing as a street walker still thinking she deserves the respect of the world around her.

I roll my eyes at you, whoever you are that hired that man! :roll:
mistrust all systematizers. All things cannot be evaluated to the point of total logic or science. No one is specail enough to answer that.

- Kurt Cobain
Blue Mystic
Amicus Verus
Amicus Verus

Postby Rastislav » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:48 pm

Blue Mystic wrote:I roll my eyes at you, whoever you are that hired that man! :roll:

That probably was executive producer Simon Cowell.
It's been a while but what a while it was!
Rastislav
Pharaoh Emeritus
Pharaoh Emeritus

Postby Blue Mystic » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:01 pm

Well, annoying minds think alike.
mistrust all systematizers. All things cannot be evaluated to the point of total logic or science. No one is specail enough to answer that.

- Kurt Cobain
Blue Mystic
Amicus Verus
Amicus Verus

Postby Rastislav » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:29 pm

Blue Mystic wrote:Well, annoying minds think alike.

They sure do. :roflol:
Rastislav
Pharaoh Emeritus
Pharaoh Emeritus

Postby Blue Mystic » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:39 pm

Simon Cowell has said he has a fondness for vaudeville. My point is, if he wanted to ressurect true vaudeville for the American television networks, why in the hell did he appoint judges? And further, why an annoying snob who likes absolutely nothing but the sound of his own voice?! The moment judges are hired, it's not vaudeville. It's a competition for prize money. Vaudeville was practice. Stars of the stage and screen a century ago came out of vaudeville because they lasted through it honing and refining their acts. Great artists can't be rushed through because of business demands, especially rushed through crucial early development because some company needs a hot, fresh, young star or starlet to fill in the voice for manufactured albums that sell like hotcakes off the shelves.

The entertainment industry has had its share of marketing ploys. Milly Vanilly, Vanilla Ice, the Spice Girls, the whole girl/boy band phenomenon, teen idols turned mega-hits, and the newest edition, Paris Hilton. That is not commenting on the actual talent of the individuals in question. I may have lined up true talents with true hacks in that. What I am pointing out is the lucrative value of these artists and fads that has the ability to take the wheel knocking experience, long-suffering, determination, and self-discipline on it's proverbial rump.

- Kurt Cobain
Blue Mystic
Amicus Verus
Amicus Verus

Postby Rastislav » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:04 am

And tonight Piers Morgan said to a family: You gotta sack your Mom, Dad, and little brother. And they said no, while the little brother (who was the only interesting part of their act, IMHO) burst into tears right along with his sister.

By the way, I am really annoyed at the judges. For every semifinal evening they had 14-15 contestants, and they picked 10 to compete. Tonight they have made some really terrible choices: They picked a stripper, and they pickes a totally worthless rock band (whom they then criticized). Two of the four that they did not pick were boys whom we have not seen perform, not even during the auditions. They had a bunch of girls (all of whom were quite good) over these past few weeks. Could they not have let these two boys compete instead of the stripper and that ridiculous band? It seems like the judges have a strong bias toward girls and against boys.

For what it's worth, I voted for the singer George Kelly tonight, mostly because I instantly recognized him as a simul of the late Jonathan Brandis whom I loved so much in SeaQuest DSV.
Rastislav
Pharaoh Emeritus
Pharaoh Emeritus

Postby Soleil » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:56 pm

I thought Piers was a gigantic jerk tonight. You don't say "sack your little brother" in front of a 6 year old. I thought he was really cute and he was pretty brave to get up in front of all those people at that age.

I hope America votes the family through just because.

I thought the juggling act that the judges picked was stupid. That doesn't take talent, just good timing. And you're right Rastislav. Those dumb judges made really poor choices. I wanted to see the little boys, too.
Soleil
Amicus
Amicus

Postby Rastislav » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:31 pm

Soleil wrote:I thought the juggling act that the judges picked was stupid.

I did, too. They relied on technology and those volunteers did the bulk of the work for them. I really expected the judges to pick act #3, the tap dancing twins.

I did not say anything about the jugglers yesterday mostly because the cameras were showing us the reaction of the audience more than the juggling act itself. So, I was giving them the benefit of the doubt that perhaps they did something spectacular while we were looking at the audience.
Rastislav
Pharaoh Emeritus
Pharaoh Emeritus

Postby Rastislav » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:05 am

Soleil wrote:I hope America votes the family through just because.

And that's exactly what happened! :lamb: :rock: :b

By the way, Piers Morgan challenged David Hasselhoff that he could not sing, so he sang at the end of tonight's show, and he was excellent.

And Regis Philbin had a golden tie. :P
Rastislav
Pharaoh Emeritus
Pharaoh Emeritus

Postby Soleil » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:36 pm

I was so happy for the family! HAHA Piers!

And David Hasselhoff WAS great! I can't wait to see what happens in the wild card show tonight. :D

Soleil
Soleil
Amicus
Amicus

Postby Rastislav » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:05 pm

Yep, I want to see whom they are bringing back, too! I'd love to see Alexis Jordan back and then moving on to the finals!
Rastislav
Pharaoh Emeritus
Pharaoh Emeritus

Postby Rastislav » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:05 am

They brought my girl, Alexis Jordan, back, and Piers Morgan was the only judge that praised her. I could not believe my ears!

But he acted like a jerk once again. He criticized the Quick Change team for doing the "same act" right after he brought in a guy whose only act is snapping his fingers! He thought the quick change magicians were boring and he thought Bobby Badfingers was not?
Rastislav
Pharaoh Emeritus
Pharaoh Emeritus

Postby Soleil » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:45 pm

Alexis Jordan was great! I almost dropped when I heard Piers say something nice.

I liked the tap-dancing guys (All That) that got though.

Who do you think they'll pick today? Maybe that other little girl that sang -- the one Brandy brought back that never had the chance to perform. She wasn't amazing -- but she was spunky.

I thought Piers was too hard on the little piano playing girl....I mean she's only 8! I thought she was pretty good. It made me laugh when she tossed over the piano bench and started playing rock 'n' roll...lololol

Soleil
Soleil
Amicus
Amicus

Postby Rastislav » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:15 pm

Yes, I liked All That, and I liked their subtle putdown for Piers. He had criticized the way they were dressed. So they came up dressed up, tapped for a few seconds, stopped and said, "This is for Pierce." Then they ripped the suits off and said, "And this is for America!" and then they danced dressed casually as before.

It is very hard to predict who will move to the finals. I really wish it was Alexis Jordan, but the fact that Piers liked her may actually hurt her.

Yes, the little girl was nice. Alas, it is hard to judge her based on a single performance. Though you never know.

The piano girl was fun. I liked what she did. Pierce just does not understand the American culture at all.

Maybe people will vote the Quick Change team through just to spite Pierce. They are certainly excellent and were almost voted through once before. How dare Piers insult their intelligence and call them dumb simply because they do not do as he orders them. Has he forgotten his history? Americans do not like to be ordered what to do, and particularly not by the British!
Rastislav
Pharaoh Emeritus
Pharaoh Emeritus

Postby Rastislav » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:06 am

America voted for Quick Change to move to the finale. And Piers Morgan managed to insult the entire country tonight when he said that Americans go for tears, as if Americans only voted for those who cry.

Thank goodness his opinion will count no more: Next week the winner will be determined solely by people's votes!
Rastislav
Pharaoh Emeritus
Pharaoh Emeritus

PreviousNext

Return to Web Amici